It has been a few weeks since I posted about our CSA share. We are still getting our weekly share but some how the article posts have been getting away from me. I decided rather than going back I would start from where I’m at right now.
Tomatoes arrived in our CSA share this past week. I’m so excited as are my kids. U-pick included sungold tomatoes, hands down my favorite tomatoes, were ready. I think the kids ate as many as they picked.
Then we went and picked green beans. So yummy. I make them by tossing them with olive oil and salt and roasting them in a 450 degree oven until they are browned. They work well on the grill too. We call them Green Bean French Fries and they don’t last very long in the bowl. I love this time of year.
We receive less greens now but more of the variety I enjoy from my CSA. It’s also melon time. This week we brought home one watermelon and four, yes I said four, cantaloupes. So yummy. I cut up the cantaloupes and put them in the freezer. Tonight we will make them into frozen sorbet with mint and maybe even a dash of vodka for a grown-up treat.
In all I am so happy with the bounty of the CSA this year. I also hear that although the tomatoes took a couple extra weeks to come in because of the wet weather this spring, we will be getting mega tomatoes over the next few weeks. We will also be able to purchase 10 pound boxes for $10 each. What a deal for local, sustainably grown heirloom tomatoes.
- 5 tbsp Olive Oil
- 3 med Zucchini cut in ½ inch pieces
- 3 lg cloves Garlic, chopped
- ¼ tsp Crushed Red Pepper
- 1 cup All Purpose Flour (we used Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free Baking Mix)
- 1½ tsp Baking Powder
- 1¼ tsp Oregano
- ¾ tsp Salt
- ¼ tsp Pepper
- ¾ cup Whole Milk
- Lemon Wedges
- Saute the zucchini and garlic in 1 tbsp of olive oil until the zucchini are brown, about 8 minutes.
- Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl and whisk in milk until smooth.
- Stir in the zucchini and garlic mixture.
- Add remaining oil to the pan and warm until oil begins to shimmer.
- Drop teaspoons of mixture into the oil and brown 4 minutes per side.
- Serve warm with lemon wedges.
- Makes about 16 fritters.