Adding supplements to your diet is the new great way to get your nutritional requirements. If you aren’t fortunate to know your farmer, regularly buy organic or biodynamic foods or grow your own vegetables you need to be supplementing additional nutrients into your diet.
Using supplements can be tricky because the supplement industry successfully lobbied against any regulations on their labeling. What does this mean for you? You have to research your sources and know the science behind the supplements you are using. For most of us researching supplement companies isn’t at the top of the priority list.
A whole food alternative to taking supplements is using nourishing herbal infusions. Infusions are made from steeping nutrient dense herbs in hot water for 4 or more hours. Like a strong tea. Specific herbs provide a powerhouse of nutrition to support the body in healing and realizing optimum health.
Here is a simple recipe that can be applied to most medicinal herbs to create a nourishing herbal infusion.
- 1 oz of dried Herbal Material (Nettle, Oatstraw, Red Raspberry Leaf, or Comfrey)
- 4 cups Boiling Water
- 1 Quart Mason Jar with tight fitting lid
- Place the herbal material into the quart size mason jar
- Cover the herbal material with boiling water
- Cover the jar with the lid and secure.
- Steep infusion for 4 hours or overnight.
- Strain the plant matter from the liquid.
- Drink 1–2 cups of liquid per day