When the cold weather sets in, I love to put on a pot of soup, make some whole grain bread and enjoy a warming meal. Here’s a regular go to recipe in our house for you to try.
Butternut Squash and Garbanzo Bean Soup
: Theresa Grisanti
: 4–6 people
This is a great vegetarian soup for the cold weather setting in. I use butternut squash but most winter squash will work in this recipe.
- 3 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 medium Onion, chopped
- 3 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 inch Ginger, Grated
- 2 medium Winter Squash, cut into ½ inch squares
- 1 can Garbanzo Beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 cups Stock or Water
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 pinch White Pepper
- Heat oil in a large soup pot.
- Add onion and cook until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the remaining ingredients.
- Bring to a boil, lower to a simmer and cook for 20–30 minutes until squash is thoroughly cooked. Serve hot.
If squash hasn’t shown up in your neck of the woods you could substitute sweet potato and get a similar result.