When the cold weather sets in, I love to put on a pot of soup, make some whole grain bread and enjoy a warming meal. Here’s a regular go to recipe in our house for you to try.
Butternut Squash and Garbanzo Bean Soup
: Theresa Grisanti
: 4-6 people
This is a great vegetarian soup for the cold weather setting in. I use butternut squash but most winter squash will work in this recipe.
- 3 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 medium Onion, chopped
- 3 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 inch Ginger, Grated
- 2 medium Winter Squash, cut into ½ inch squares
- 1 can Garbanzo Beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 cups Stock or Water
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 pinch White Pepper
- Heat oil in a large soup pot.
- Add onion and cook until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the remaining ingredients.
- Bring to a boil, lower to a simmer and cook for 20-30 minutes until squash is thoroughly cooked. Serve hot.
If squash hasn't shown up in your neck of the woods you could substitute sweet potato and get a similar result.